The Obit For Raymond Theobald

Pedestrian, 83, killed after being hit in Metairie

by Michelle Hunter, The Times-Picayune
Monday June 15, 2009, 4:52 PM

Raymond Theobald An 83-year-old pedestrian died after he was hit by a sport utility vehicle in Metairie Sunday night, authorities said.

Raymond Theobald was pronounced dead after he was taken to East Jefferson General Hospital in Metairie, according to Sgt. Larry Dyess, spokesman for the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office. The driver, an unidentified 80-year-old woman from New Orleans, was not cited. But the district attorney's office will be consulted, according to Dyess.

The accident occurred just after 8 p.m. at the intersection of West Esplanade Avenue and Oaklawn Drive. The woman told investigators she had been traveling eastbound on West Esplanade and saw no one in the crosswalk as she approached Oaklawn.

"She didn't actually see where he was," Dyess said. "Just that she heard a noise and looked back and saw him lying on the ground and stopped to render assistance."

Theobald lived just a half-mile from the accident scene and was most likely walking home from Lakeshore Playground, according to his son, Dean Theobald, 49.

The younger Theobald said his father struggled with dementia and the effects of a stroke eight months ago. Although less mobile than he used to be, Dean Theobald said his dad was pretty stubborn and insisted on living at home and walking or riding his bicycle around the neighborhood. He regularly attended nearby St. Louis King of France and St. Benilde Catholic churches, both in Metairie, his son said.

"For his age, he did pretty good," Dean Theobald said. "He lived his life and did the things he enjoyed doing."

Raymond Theobald was originally from New Orleans. He grew up there, but spent some time in Georgia, where he played minor league baseball for the Atlanta Crackers, his son said. Raymond Theobald moved to Metairie around 1965 with his wife Edna, and their children. He worked for The United Fruit Company in New Orleans before moving on to the U.S. Selective Service agency, Dean Theobald said.

Theobald is survived by two daughters, three sons and nine grandchildren.

Dean Theobald said while the accident may seem tragic, he's grateful his father didn't suffer long.

"He was a good man that lived a good life," Dean Theobald said of his father. "He knew the Lord and I know he's in a better place."