The Obit For Albert Larrieu

Albert P. Larrieu

The San Francisco Chronicle 2/23/2008 - 2/24/2008.

Albert P. Larrieu "Cousin Al," "Cowboy Al" August 2, 1917 - February 13, 2008 One of the last stand-up guys died on February 13, 2007. A second generation San Franciscan and life-long "Old Butcher Town" resident of the city he considered Paradise, Al Larrieu died in his sleep after a short battle with cancer. His beloved daughter Linda and son-in-law Bill were with him. When told he had terminal cancer, he replied, "Well, a book only has so many pages."

The book that was Al's life held many interesting and fascinating chapters. When he closed the chapter on one part of his life, he'd turn the page and move on to the next chapter. Always athletic, he was raised in a baseball family. The baseball chapter began early but intensified after his graduation from Mission High.

Al spent several years playing baseball in the Pacific Coast League. As a third-baseman he signed a couple of contracts and ranged across the country playing ball. After being charged $2.00 for a broken bat during a game in St. Louis, he decided the sport was "too rich for my blood" and hitch-hiked home to San Francisco.

The next chapter was the War Years. He went into the U.S. Army in 1941, assigned to Company E of the 184th Infantry. As a soldier in the Pacific, he earned a Purple Heart and a Silver Star. In 1946 after returning home from war, The Cop Chapter began when he joined the San Francisco Police Department. He retired as a sergeant in 1976, after 30 years of duty.

The Retirement Chapter allowed him to indulge his life-long love of horses and the west. He bought horses and cattle. He honed his riding and roping skills. He became a cowboy and an accomplished horseman.

In his 80s, Al worked the bull chutes at the Grand National Rodeo. He was also a published cowboy poet. He was a long-time member of many clubs, including The San Francisco Horseman's Association, Los Viajeros Riding Club, Eagles Aerie #3265, and The Knives and Forks. In his last months, Al received excellent care from Hospice by the Bay, especially from his nurse, Susan Martin.

At Al's request, there will be no services. His and his son's ashes will be scattered in the ocean off San Francisco. Donations to Hospice by the Bay in Al's name will be welcome.

Al was preceded in death by his parents, his brother John, and his son Allen. He is survived by his daughter Linda and her husband Bill, of San Francisco.

Admired and respected by all who knew him, he was a tough guy to the end.