The Obit For William Black

William T. Black

Published in Patriot-News on August 20, 2010

William T. Black, 92, formerly of Laporte and a resident of Rose Court, Williamsport, PA for several years died there on Tuesday, August 17, 2010. Born September 21, 1917 at Rutherford Heights, PA, he was the son of the late James A. Black and Helen Morris Black.

William was a 1935 graduate of Swatara Township High School (now Central Dauphin School District). July 8, 1943 he married the former Mary Louise Pickett of Laceyville, PA. She preceded him in death in 2002.

William is survived by three children: Christina L. Keller (Neil F.) of Jersey Shore, LTC(R) James A. Black (Elizabeth P.) of Fayetteville, NC, and Paula J. Holcombe (Richard J.) of Laporte. There are three grandchildren: Sara K. Holcombe, Philip S. Holcombe and Della E. Black.

In addition to his wife and parents he was predeceased by a brother, James M. Black, and three sisters, Agnes A. E. Black, Rosalia B. Armstrong and Tullis F. Trayer.

After graduating from high school, William was a pitcher for several Minor League professional baseball teams, including the Harrisburg Senators, Batavia Bees, and Jamestown Pirates. In 1941 William left baseball to return to defense work at Harrisburg Steel Company where he became a foreman.

William retired in 1982 as manager of North Anson Reel Company (now Sonoco Products), Newberry, PA. After retirement he was employed for several years as a land use officer for Sullivan County.

A memorial service will be held at the United Methodist Church, Laporte, at 12:00 Noon on Saturday, August 28, 2010. Following the service family and friends are invited to a luncheon in his honor at the Laporte Fire Company on Maple Street, Laporte.

Committal services will be at the Lacey Street Cemetery, Laceyville, PA at the convenience of the family.

The family will provide the flowers and suggests contributions in William's memory be made to the Laporte Fire Company, P.O. Box 31, Laporte, PA, Attn: Treasurer.

Arrangements were made through the Sheldon Funeral Home, Main St., Laceyville, PA